Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Winter reading!



Traditionally, the conference season is the usual time that the majority of political books are published, especially political biographies and autobiographies. The reasons for this are not particularly difficult to fathom; they can add to the excitement (or conflict!) of conference, delegates and reporters tend to buy them in no small number while they are there and so the book launches tend to be reported in the media as well as making a few quid and the books are then in the shops in good time for Christmas.
This year was a bit thin on new books but there are still a few gems out there...
I'll write a few reviews when I have time... I have to admit that I have not read the Profumo and Johnson books yet- I am ploughing through Lord Renton's book on the role of the Chief Whip!

Dirty politics, Dirty times - My fight with Wapping and New Labour
by Michael Ashcroft
ISBN: 1904734154, 400 pages, paperback, published by Politicos Updated edition 2006.

I Want to Make a Difference - But I Don't Like Politics
by John Redwood
ISBN: 1842751824, 224 pages, hardback, published by Politicos 2006.

Thatcher and Sons - A Revolution in Three Acts
by Sir Simon Jenkins
ISBN: 0713995955, 384 pages, hardback, published by Allen Lane 2006.

The Unfulfilled Prime Minister - Tony Blair's Quest for a Legacy
by Peter Riddell

ISBN: 1842751689, 256 pages, paperback, published by Politicos 2nd edition 2006.


BorisThe Rise of Boris Johnson
by Andrew Gimson

ISBN: 0743275845, 304 pages, hardback, published by Simon & Schuster 2006.

Bringing the House Down - A Family Memoir
by David Profumo

ISBN: 0719566088, 352 pages, hardback, published by John Murray 2006.

A History of the English Speaking Peoples since 1900
by Andrew Roberts

Charles Kennedy - A Tragic Flaw
by Greg Hurst
ISBN: 184275176X, 352 pages, hardback, published by Politicos 2006.

2 Comments:

Blogger Croydonian said...

Matt, if you can read an entire book by Peter Ridell you have far more stamina than I. I find his columns send me into a coma. Lest you think I'm a lightweight, I've read 'Ulysses' and all three volumes of 'The Gulag Archipelago'....

7:15 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's an interesting title of John Redwood's book, I would be interested to hear how it goes.

1:10 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home