Friday, May 04, 2007

Thank-you to everyone who voted for me- I won!!!



How did I get on?


Matthew Dean-Conservative Party 1762
David Geddes -UKIP 183
Graham Giles-Labour 1256
Pauline Harding-Liberal Democrats 395
John Spottiswoode -Green Party 327


Some other details; Rejected Ballot Papers 10 (about normal). The Electorate numbers 10291 (big ward) and the turnout was a highish 38.2%

The first thing to do is say thank-you to Shirley to voting for me; it was a good result for the Conservatives. A special thank-you to my agent Tony Forward and my campaign manager Terry Matthews. With Daphne Aitkienhead and Keith Vaughn, they did so much work so thank-you all; I owe you!

Labour ran a very credible campaign against me; in fact they worked quite hard doing a fair bit of canvassing and literature. however they didn't campaign on Southampton issues or really on policy (apart from being anti-'privatisation').

In terms of issues raised with me on the doorstep , the most common issues raised with me were (in order)
  • The state of repair of our roads and pavements (by quite some way the most important issue)

  • Keeping the weekly refuse collection (with a significant but vocal minority in favour of going fortnightly)

  • The level of council tax bills

  • Parking and congestion

  • Development- including pulling down houses and rebuilding flats, the lack of new affordable housing

  • Schools re-organisation (in Shirley, not as controversial/ significant as an election issue as I would have thought)

So I find myself writing this post from my laptop in the Conservative Members room!

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't vote for you. But then I don't live in your ward.

4:02 pm  
Blogger Matt Dean said...

Well that might be why!

4:17 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So Councillor Dean who do you think is going to be running the Council? Given that Labour and Conservatives both have the same number of seats.

4:25 pm  
Blogger Matt Dean said...

Good question and one I shall blog about over the next few days

4:57 pm  
Blogger Cuth said...

Well done Matt.

I did vote for you.

I was interested to see your comment on the school re-organisation not appearing to a significant issue. It is for me, I think the first thing you should do is get the schools sorted.

6:53 pm  
Blogger Tony said...

Many congratulations Cllr. Dean from Wellingborough's new Cllr. Sharp. Here's to catching up with you via the CCA sometime.

8:16 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:04 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wots a matter? Truth hurt?

12:35 am  
Blogger Matt Dean said...

Sorry I had to remove one of the last comments; unbelievably it accused another Councillor of racism.
please don't post anything here you wouldn't say in public to your local paper; in other words don't libel other people and hide behind anonymity!!!

11:24 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the win (and on the flyers you sent out - a large part of my voting for you - you were the only candidate I heard from at all)

I'd be interested to know how you're going to move forward with schools in Shirley. How and when can I find out more?

9:56 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home