Thursday, December 28, 2006

Macmillan unearthed !

'Supermac' by Vicky.


OK, owning up time! I wasn't born when he was in even front-line politics but I do have a sneaking admiration for Harold Macmillan, Conservative Prime Minister from 1957 to (I think) 1963. His fabled speech to the Tory Reform Group at the Carlton Club in November 1985 has been archived and can now been heard in its entirety here.
The speeches contents have to my mind largely been repudiated by events but for sheer style of delivery (after a faltering start) and an alternative critique of Thatcherism from the Conservative centre right, it takes some beating.

Readers may be interested to know that David Profomo has accepted my invitation to come and speak in the new year in Southampton on the affair that rocked Macmillan's government. Details to follow!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Matt - my mum used to have a cafe in London where some of the characters in the Profumo affair (Steven Ward, Mandy Rice-Davies etc used to meet). I'm sure she would come along and do a cameo.

8:41 am  
Blogger Matt Dean said...

ha ha, excellent Jon!

2:59 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home