Sunday, September 13, 2009

Southampton Boat show set to smash records!

Above- Independence of the Seas pictured as she leaves the show and below,
view from Town Quay.
On Saturday, I had the privilege of attending the Southampton Boat Show which is the largest outdoor boat show in the UK. The weather was glorious (unlike the last couple of years) and I am delighted to say (given the importance of the show to the economy) that the crowds were out in force- so much so that I wouldn't be surprised if, in terms of visitor numbers, this isn't the biggest Southampton Boat Show ever. From my own portfolio point of view, I am glad to say that the traffic was manageable (although I walked there, cue round of applause!) and I took a little quiet satisfaction as I mingled in the crowds in knowing that the Council has safeguarded the future of the show in Southampton until 2020.
Although the Boatshow organisers haven't said so, I am pretty sure that this will also be the largest show in terms of the number of exhibitors and it might even be in terms of gross value of orders taken at the show by exhibitors which would be remarkable in the current climate. That certainly seems possible if people follow the example of Eddie Jordan who bought one of the flagship £12million, 47 meter Sunseeker yachts.
It was good to see local businesses represented too- such as Dalmeny Leisure with their Banana Wharf and Dockgate 4 Bars, Wise Catering and Romsey's Hunton Powerboats to name three examples known to me personally.
Fingers crossed that the weather holds up and the exhibitors go on to have a fantastic week!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home